What comes after your PhD ? You might be wrapping up your PhD, set for a post-doc and suddenly having doubts about your career choice. Or, you might be just starting your PhD. It’s never too late, or too early, to give some thought to your career.
You can read about GSN student Sara’s approach here.
Below is a list of top 20 alternative career paths, compiled by Cheekyscientist (from their free ebook). Cheekyscientist is a platform that helps PhDs transfer from academia to the industry.
- Application Scientist
- Quantitative Analyst
- Science public policy advisor
- Product manager
- Clinical trials project manager
- Competitive intelligence analyst
- Business development manager
- Intellectual property lawyer
- Research analyst in VC firms
- Market research analyst
- Technology transfer officer
- Management consulting
- Patent agent / scientific consultant
- Scientific / Technical writer
- Research scientist in industry
- Technology assessment manager
- Research project manager
- Technical sales specialist
- Medical science liaison
- FDA regulatory affairs administrator
You can find the detailed descriptions of the jobs in their ebook. I’m not a part of this association. I found this resource to be useful and hope it might be useful to you too.